Thursday, September 4, 2008

ACL surgery - day 16 Thursday

My leg feels like a big log (with nails being hammered into the knee sometimes) that has been stuck to my hip. I can move it ok in PT and pretty well while walking around, but while trying to get to sleep or trying get work done (that's a joke) it feels like a log.

Last night was the worst! I am off my narcotics and I am on regular advil and extra strength tylenol. I still have my ice cuff but that does not bring me as much pleasure as it used to. It just makes my leg cold and does not ease the nagging dull/sometimes sharp pain. I have had to sleep on my back for the last 15 nights and that stinks! since I love to curl up and sleep on my side. I wake up and my log is cold and in pain. I try to readjust - taking off or putting on my ACE wrap, changing my pillow set-up, taking off or putting on my ice cuff, sitting up, nothing really works. I get at most two hours of full sleep before I am awakened by the loggy-ness of my leg and try again to readjust. I can only imagine what having a baby will be like (no we are not pregnant! that would be awful right now!), but hopefully then all my appendages will be working and not in pain.

Speaking of work I have tried to start doing some... but it is horrible. I get all sweaty because my computer is really hot. It takes me 30 minutes to do something that used to take me 30 seconds. Did the medications do something to my brain? I can't concentrate!!! And there is really nothing much to distract me here. I have my stereo remote and I'm listening to NPR. This is something that I used to do at work. When I turn the radio off, I doze off. Sometimes I turn the TV on, but today nothing was appealing. We have DVR and all the shows which were so interesting only days before (ie Jon and Kate plus eight; Janice Dickenson's Modeling Agency - please don't cringe) can no longer hold my interest. The dog loves being out all day but he's not very distracting either. I am starting to not feel bad that we put him in a crate while we are gone during the day, because all he does is lay in his little bed in front of me. Sometimes he barks at the mail person... but only sometimes (not much of a guard dog), and he can do that in his crate.

Tonight's outing is going to the dog park. It is actually very pretty here, and I hear on the radio that tomorrow will be rainy! Boo! Rain is good, but I do like looking at the sunny outdoors. I am afraid rain may make me more depressed than I am with my current state.

No comments: