Thursday, August 21, 2008

ACL surgery - day 1

This morning I had to arrive at UNC's Memorial Hospital at 6:30am. Nathan and my mom accompanied me. They deserve a shout out for getting up that early to just sit around and wait. I checked in, which included signing some papers and getting my blue identification bracelet. And then I went to the PCS (post care stay)B where I had to take off my clothes and don a lovely Carolina blue gown, booties, and hairnet. After that, things moved pretty fast. I was bombarded by nurses, doctors, and anesthesiologists who were asking me questions about my history and poking me getting BP and other baseline measurements.Around 7:30, which seemed to come really fast, I was ushered to a curtained "room" to get my nerve block. I was given the "I don't care" medicine and remember very little of what happened after. I gleaned from Nathan and my mom and from the marks on my body that they marked up the right side of my body and stuck with me with two needles aimed at my femoral nerves. Making me not be able to feel my right leg, butt, and foot. While this sounds inconvenient it was the best thing that happened all day! Nathan and mom tell me they took some pictures (see above with me laying in the bed), I talked to the doctors, and we just hung out until it was time for my surgery. At 8:15 I was wheeled into the surgical room. I do remember a few things from this. I remember that it was really cold in the room and they strapped me onto the table like I was going to go crazy. They wrapped a belt around my waist and put my arms out wide like I was flying and strapped those down to. I evidently did not go under general anesthesia, which seems so bizarre to me! I know I was not fully under, but I have no idea exactly what that entailed. I do not remember anything, which is good.

I choose to do the patellar ligament as my new ACL graft. There are generally three options for the ACL reconstruction all of which have their drawbacks.
  • Patellar Ligament
  • Hamstring Tendons
  • Allograft (Donor Tissue)

If I get bored I might describe all of them at some point and find a good description on the web, but I'm going to try to keep describing the day's events.

The surgery went well and I went to the recovery room where I slept. Nathan came and sat with me until I woke up when I was moved

No comments: