Sunday, October 19, 2008

Voting

Today Nathan and I went to vote at NC's One-stop early voting. This process was very easy... maybe too easy.

There were no lines, which was my hope in voting on Sunday. The people at Duke actually looked really really bored. I went up to the first guy with a computer and told him my last name, then my first name. He asked me to verify my address and that was it. I signed a piece of paper and he handed me my ballot. The guy Nathan talked to didn't even ask him to verify his address. Is this too easy? I brought my driver's license, but they didn't ask for it.

This makes me suspicious of the whole process. It is just too easy for people to cheat. My friend Lloyd agrees with me (see his opinion on his blog). However, I still take my voting rights very seriously and encourage everyone to get out and vote!

Also a lighter note. As I was slipping my ballot into the machine, the lady handing out the "I voted today" stickers earnestly, asked me "Honey, is this your first time voting?" I looked at her in shock and said, "No, I'm 27 years old." She stammered, "oh.... you just look very young."

I know I look young, but that young? Here is a picture of me at 18... You be the judge.



No comments: