Friday, October 10, 2008

Beer fest: a history

Where can you get 4 hours of all you can drink amazing beer? World Beer Festival!

Nathan is in love with tasty beers especially bitter hoppy beer. I on the other hand met Nathan and hated beer. He soon introduced me to something other than the college kegs of Natty Light, and I feel in love with the Belgiums and dark brews. I am also a sucker for sweet fruity beer
(what can I say, I'm a girl).

We have attended the Fest since 2006. Below is the history and highlights of beer fests past and present.

Fall 2006
Location: Durham at historical Durham Bulls stadium
Attendees: Nathan and Amanda
Highlights: It was our first taste of beer fest and we were hooked! I can't find any pics from this event, but I remember it being really muddy (and that's about all I can remember)!


Spring 2007 (see more pics here)
Location: Raleigh at Moore Square
Attendees: Kyle, Nathan, Sarah, Ben, and Chad (our beloved DD).
Highlights: Some random girl came up to Kyle and told him he had the most beautiful eyes.
Sarah rode a cooler.

Fall 2007 (see more pics here)
Location: Durham at historical Durham Bulls stadium
Attendees: Sarah, Ben, Amanda, and Nathan. We also ran into some other hoodlums from my program.


Colin was looking good here... it is rumored that eventually he was not looking so hot, beer fest is not kind to all attendees.

Highlights : We took a cab to cookout and introduce Ben and Sarah to what should be world famous milkshakes. We burned off some of the beer and the milkshake calories as we strolled home through the high grass of Morreene Rd.


Spring 2008 (see more pics here)
Location: Raliegh at Moore square (see this post for a few other pictures)
Attendees: Issac, Dan, Kristen, Nathan, Amanda and Kyle (our beloved DD and owner of the tiniest car)
Highlights: The fact that Kyle, Issac, Kristen, Dan, Nathan, and I fit into Kyle's two door hatch back civic and drove the 40 minutes to Raleigh. Below - some bad attempts at trying to capture how uncomfortable the situation was.


We meet Pen Holderness from designer finals on HGTV (and lesser known to us for his work on local NBC17). Pen was seemed very confused. Either Nathan made a lame attempt at a joke or the beer was too much for this local star - you make the call.
Kyle got breathalyzed at the festival by some random attendee - Like we had already suspected, he was completely sober. But we all cheered anyways because we did not want to be stuck in Raleigh.


Fall 2008 (see more pics here)
Location: Durham at kicking "new" Durham Bulls stadium - it was so much cleaner because they had to lay down white plastic squares over the whole beer fest area AND there were actual flushing bathrooms. This may have been the best part of the beer fest (excluding the beer).
Attendees: Beth, Ross, Amanda, and Nathan
Highlights: Beth and Ross got engaged the evening before! We were one of the first to hear their sweet proposal story and ogle over the ring.
I had to wear my large and in charge ACL brace (maybe for the last time). I got many sympathy cuts in line and met a girl who also had a matching brace. I, however, did not get the memo to wear a costume.
Victory brewing company was at the festival - Good. They were not serving Golden Monkey - Bad. They had an empty seat by their booth for me to lounge on - Good. When talking to the guy behind the booth I found out he had brought one case of Golden Monkey and he gave me some - AMAZING!
My leg did not fall off!


No comments: