Monday, October 6, 2008

LOVE THESE COOKIES!

A while back (before I had my surgery) I went to Trader Joes and per usual bought a ton of dried fruit.  Their stock is constantly changing.  At that time they had dried crystalized ginger.  I thought it would be a tasty snack - like a chip.  However, upon tasting I realized it bites into your tongue like eating pure ginger.  Since then it's been sitting in our cabinet calling to me to make something delicious.  Last night I could not resist anymore!  A google search produced this recipe from a foodie blog.

Crystallized Ginger Cookies
makes 24 cookies

¾ cup (6 oz) unsalted butter, at room temp.
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup molasses
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
3 oz crystallized ginger, chopped into bite sized pieces (I put the whole 3.5oz of TG's dried ginger chips while it looked like a lot, it was just the right amount)

3 tbsp granulated sugar (for optional rolling)

Cream butter and 1 cup sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
Add molasses and egg, mixing after each addition.
Sift together dry ingredients (not ginger chips).
Add to creamed mixture.
Mix until the flour is almost incorporated.
Stir in chopped ginger.
Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375F.
Form 1 inch balls.
Roll in granulated sugar (optional)
Place on parchment lined cookie sheets.
Bake 8-10 minutes (not more!)


The best part is that these are chewy. I-love-chewy-cookies!! And Nathan loved them too.  The only thing is that I skimped on the chillin' time and they did not spread on the cookie sheet (at least that's why I think they didn't spread).  So the cookies turned out a little more round then anticipated, but that did not change how yummy they were! 

No comments: