Sunday, March 16, 2008

ART-Tender

On February 15th, Amanda and I enjoyed the monthly art walk in Durham and happened upon ART-Tender:

"The art-tenders (Mark Cunningham and Jake Wood, Piedmont bartenders) promise to bring you, the consumers, highly disposable and utterly affordable, sometimes whimsical, sometimes lovely, and sometimes ribald, little drawings. 500 in fact. On Bev-Naps. To be purchased right off the wall at their closing reception. Life is cheap and disposable, but often has moments of insight and humor, and so too sometimes art."

Two dollars in cash got you one delicious local beer, and two ART-tender drawings, which you selected by placing a little sticker beneath your choices.
Here are the four we bought, which are now displayed above our stove (click on the pictures for a closer look):
On Saturday night, Amanda and I took Rich and Eileen, who were staying in Durham for a night, to Piedmont for a drink and we encountered Mark, one of the ART-Tenders. After chatting with him briefly, he drew my portrait on one of the famous Bev-Naps. Our dinner conversation had touched on my self-inflated role in the introduction of Brett and Ashley, so when the artist asked what I did, I jokingly said something about being a match-maker. And thus, was my new favorite piece of art, coined:

Hmm, I'm a matchmaker!
by Mark Cunningham

No comments: